This world has witnessed many leaders since its inception. Every leader has his own characteristics and charismatic personality. Leaders are not born, they made themselves leader by through their experience, learning and personality.
In 586 AD, no one knows that this world will face a true great leader who will not only transform Muslim world to world super power but also govern over 2,200,000 Sq Miles. He was no other but Umer Bin Khattab (RA).
He is the one whom Prophet PBUM asked from Allah and said, “O Allah, give strength to Islam through the conversion to Islam of either one of the two Umars”.
Umar RA was so God gifted in decision making that Allah liked his (RA) decision on many occasions. Prophet PBUH said, “Had there been any prophet after me, he would have been Umar”. He was so pious and virtuous that Prophet PBUH said, “O Umar, by God, Satan will flee from the way/path that is chosen by you”.
Hazrat Umar e Farooq RA was a mighty and eminent personality in the history of Islam who offered a lot of services for Islam. He was born in 583 AD in Banu Adi tribe of Quraish (Makkah). He was non-Muslim in the start and was a business man by profession. Although before acceptance of Islam he was one of the biggest enemies of Prophet PBUH but after acceptance of Islam, he was one of the closest companion of Prophet PBUH. During early days of Islam, there were very limited literate people in Quraish. Umar RA was one of them. After his (RA) acceptance of Islam, Muslims got strengthen and started offering prayers openly.
Services for Islam:
After his conversion to Islam, Muslims feel so powerful that they loudly chanted “Allaho Akbar” and they started praying openly in Kaba. He fought almost all the battles in his life and fought well because of his warfare skills. At the time of migration, he openly announced and asked if anyone has courage to stop him. He served as an important advisor during Caliph Hazrat Abu Bakar era.
As a Caliph:
He is the only leader who gave governing system, laws and principles to the world and many countries still following his laws. He conquest over 2,200,000 Sq Miles area. Many historians claim that if he would live and govern for the next 10 years, there would be no other religion but Islam.
Following are the battles that he fought and win
- Battle of Qadsiah
- Battle of Yarmook
- Capture of Palestine
- Fall of Alexandria and capture of Egypt
- Battle of Persia
During his time world has witnessed the Muslims as a super Power of that time.
System Given by Hazrat Umar RA:
- He gave himself the title of “Ameer ul Momineen” i.e “Leader of the Faithful”.
- He gave the concept of institution of Bait ul Maal.
- He held the census for the first time in the history of Islam
- Fixed salaries / pensions for the unemployed to support them. This law has been followed throughout the world now.
- He introduced the canal system for drinking as well as for irrigation purpose.
- Godowns were constructed for food storage and control the profit ratio for the business class to avoid any imbalance in the society.
- He properly implemented judiciary system and laws were written and deployed Judges
- Islamic calendar was developed
- Postal system was introduced.
- Policing, spying, military system was introduced to implement law and order.
- He used to visit different towns in disguised at night to examine what is going on. He said “Even if a dog dies within the territorial jurisdiction of my caliphate, I would be held accountable for it.”
- Teacher were properly appointed to boost education.
- Many new cities were established
- Modification and extension of Masjid al Haram to facilitate pilgrims
If we study all the great leaders or conquerors, no one gave us the system of governance. Instead they damage the system and gave people nothing but death to show their power.
Whereas, Hazrat Umar RA gave this world a proper system of governance and a concept of true welfare society.
On 27th Zilhaj 23 Hijri, he (RA) was stabbed with a poisoned knife by Abu Lolo Feroz, when he (RA) was leading the morning (Fajar) prayers. He (RA) was injured and five days later on 1st Muharram 24 Hijri, he (RA) embraced martyrdom. His glorious caliphate lasted for 10 years and five months.